[Mimedefang] mimedefang letting some spams through...why?

Tony tonj at freeuk.com
Sun Jan 31 17:14:33 EST 2010

----- Original Message -----
From: "-" <kd6lvw at yahoo.com>
To: <mimedefang at lists.roaringpenguin.com>
Sent: Sunday, January 31, 2010 9:43 PM
Subject: Re: [Mimedefang] mimedefang letting some spams through...why?

--- On Sun, 1/31/10, Tony <tonj at freeuk.com> wrote:
> ... My filter is here:
> http://www.zen187664.zen.co.uk/spam/mimedefang-filter-rejecting.txt

> If spams are passing and not tagged, are you doing something stupid
> like calling MimeDefang from your mail DELIVERY agent?

as a beginner I don't know if I'm doing that or not. All I know is that:
1) in my sendmail.mc file I have the entry:
INPUT_MAIL_FILTER(`mimedefang',
`S=unix:/var/spool/MIMEDefang/mimedefang.sock, T=S:5m;R:5m')
2) my mail log shows a lots of spams being rejected by mimedefang = it
must be working
3) a few odd spams are getting through to my inbox, despite being tagged
in the subject line [SPAM] and despite having a spam score of > 10. This
is the problem.

What I have done just now is edit my 'over the threshold' setting thus:
# If SpamAssassin found SPAM, append report.  We do it as a separate
# attachment of type text/plain
sub filter_end {
    my($entity) = @_;
    my($hits, $req, $names, $report) = spam_assassin_check();
    my $stars = ($hits < 15) ? ("*" x int($hits)) : ("*" x 15);
    # Bounce anything scoring 5 or higher
    if ($hits >= 5) {
    action_bounce("Rejected: my server thinks your email is spam.");
    return;
    } #Add spam-score header
    action_change_header("X-Spam-Score", "$hits ($stars) $names");
    # Bounce anything if over threshold
    if ($hits >= $req) {
    action_bounce("Rejected: my server thinks your email is spam.");
    }

so I'll wait to see if this makes any difference.