[Mimedefang] cannot install mimdefang

Kris Deugau kdeugau at vianet.ca
Fri Jan 15 17:47:38 EST 2010

Tony wrote:
> ----- Original Message ----- From: "Jason Bertoch" <jason at electronet.net>
>> you can try:
>>
>> yum groupinstall "Development Tools"
>
> this produced a very long list of downloads that all seemed to go well
> until right at the end I got:
>
> --> Running transaction check
> --> Processing Conflict: kernel conflicts isdn4k-utils < 3.2-32
> --> Processing Conflict: kernel conflicts ppp < 2.4.3-3
> --> Processing Conflict: kernel conflicts oprofile < 0.9.1-2
> --> Processing Conflict: lksctp-tools conflicts kernel >= 2.6.10
> --> Processing Conflict: kernel conflicts nfs-utils < 1.0.7-12
> --> Finished Dependency Resolution
> Error: kernel conflicts with nfs-utils < 1.0.7-12
> Error: kernel conflicts with isdn4k-utils < 3.2-32
> Error: kernel conflicts with oprofile < 0.9.1-2
> Error: lksctp-tools conflicts with kernel >= 2.6.10
> Error: kernel conflicts with ppp < 2.4.3-3

If yum exits here, it hasn't done anything except give you more
information about what it was trying to do - it hasn't downloaded any
package files at all by this point, just the reference information that
lets it see which packages it needs to meet your request.

Based on the errors I see, your system is either out of date, you've got
packages from a newer CentOS release installed, or you've got
third-party packages installed that are newer than the official CentOS
releases, and created in such a way as to be incompatible with some of them.

Whether you finish installing the devtools or not, I'd strongly suggest
you run "yum check-update" and install anything from at least the "base"
and "update" repositories.

You might try installing MIMEDefang (and many of its dependencies) from
the RPMForge repository;  I've been using their packages instead of
rolling my own for a while now.  See http://rpmforge.net.  Note that
it's probably not wise to blindly install anything and everything from
there that's offered;  while some Perl modules as shipped with stock
RHEL/CentOS are variously broken for certain purposes, many other things
are not.

If you have questions about installing packages, or adding repositories
and so on feel free to contact me offlist;  this isn't really a relevant
topic for this list.

> [root at home admin]#
>
> I tried the ./configure command again but I got the same errors as last
> time,

... because no new software was installed by yum, so as far as building
MIMEDefang nothing changed.

> however thanks for the info regarding ./configure, I understand it
> clearer now.

*nod*  I'm not sure you'll be able to make effective use of MIMEDefang
if you're not familiar with the basics of how it's turned into a set of
executable files from the source code you downloaded.  The bulk of the
configuration for what MD does with your mail is done in a Perl script
fragment, so if you're not familiar with programming at all it's going
to be a steep learning curve.

-kgd