[Mimedefang] Spam ethics question

WBrown at e1b.org WBrown at e1b.org
Thu Jan 14 15:19:18 EST 2010

Kelson wrote on 01/14/2010 02:43:35 PM:

> It's not the effect that's at issue, it's the process.
>
> The whole point of a honeypot is that you have a guarantee that no one
> has ever requested that mail go to that address, so any mail sent there
> is unsolicited by definition.
>
> If you subscribe an address to a list, then *you* have solicited mail
> for that address. As a result, your data is no longer reliable, because
> at least some of that mail coming into that address is mail that you
> requested.

This is the best argument against what I asked about.  Thanks

> OTOH, if you actively *unsubscribe* an address, then you have
> specifically requested that mail *not* go there. If they turn around and
> use that information to put the address on one of their lists, then
> you've caught them violating your request. It's still unsolicited, so
> it's valid data.

Other option is to raise hell with the mail outsourcing company but does
that really work?

Confidentiality Notice: This electronic message and any attachments may contain confidential or privileged information, and is intended only for the individual or entity identified above as the addressee. If you are not the addressee (or the employee or agent responsible to deliver it to the addressee), or if this message has been addressed to you in error, you are hereby notified that you may not copy, forward, disclose or use any part of this message or any attachments. Please notify the sender immediately by return e-mail or telephone and delete this message from your system.