[Mimedefang] Spam ethics question

WBrown at e1b.org WBrown at e1b.org
Thu Jan 14 08:40:22 EST 2010

I just got spammed by a company that claims on their website "We hate SPAM
as much as you do."  So why did they repeatedly send it to our abuse
address?  They also sent it to almost every school district we filter email
for.  To the best of my knowledge, none of them requested the email either.
Needless to say, they got a block in our global rules and submitted to
SURBL.

As I was checking their web site, I found the statement above right below
the box to sign up for their newsletter, which was at the very top of the
page.  My dilemma is this:

Why shouldn't I find some honey-pot addresses and submit submit them to
subscribe?

--

William Brown
Web Development & Messaging Services

Confidentiality Notice: This electronic message and any attachments may contain confidential or privileged information, and is intended only for the individual or entity identified above as the addressee. If you are not the addressee (or the employee or agent responsible to deliver it to the addressee), or if this message has been addressed to you in error, you are hereby notified that you may not copy, forward, disclose or use any part of this message or any attachments. Please notify the sender immediately by return e-mail or telephone and delete this message from your system.