[Mimedefang] OT: Choice of desktop OS (was Re: watch-mimedefang)

David F. Skoll dfs at roaringpenguin.com
Tue Feb 16 11:58:06 EST 2010

Les Mikesell wrote:

[...]

> Vista is irrelevant. If you read any trade literature at all you would
> never have touched it in the first place.  Just like any X.0 version of
> a linux distribution.  But realistically, the problem in Vista was
> changing the driver interface, something that Linux does with every
> re-compile and enterprise distributions have to work around by
> backporting some of the updates into old kernels without breaking them.

Well.  Linux is not that bad.  Especially on Debian, it's very rare to
have breakage on upgrade.

Anyway... my original point is that Linux desktops have excellent
tools for remotely managing Linux servers.  Running watch-mimedefang
or watch-multiple-mimedefangs on a Linux desktop lets you easily
monitor one or dozens of MIMEDefang servers.  It seems to me that it's
far simpler to just install Linux to get all the convenient tools
(even if you do it in a virtual machine) than to fight with evil hacks
like Cygwin to manage the server.  Cygwin is an admirable piece of
work, but it's in the same category of admirability as toilet-training a
ten-month-old... yes, it can probably be done with much cursing and
sweat, but for the love of all things sane... WHY???

The impedance mismatch between a Windows desktop and a Linux server just
seems too high to accept.