[Mimedefang] watch-mimedefang

Les Mikesell lesmikesell at gmail.com
Mon Feb 15 18:19:29 EST 2010

Michael Sims wrote:
> Cliff Hayes wrote:
>> For this idea, don't I have to have a GUI OS installed on the linux
>> box I'll be remoting into?
>
> I did a test install on a spare Ubuntu box I had here, and yes, when I ask
> apt to install vnc4server, it wants to pull down a ton of packages,
> including several xserver* ones.  So if a small footprint on the server side
> is important to you this may not be the route to go...

You need to have the X code and window manager installed but not necessarily
running on the console.  It is fairly difficult to imagine a box that is still
running today that couldn't handle a GUI, seeing as how virtually everything
shipped in the last 15 years has been designed for, and usually shipped with MS
windows.  If you are running something that old/limited, I'd recommend replacing
it with a VMware guest on some more modern box and saving some power.

--
   Les Mikesell
    lesmikesell at gmail.com