[Mimedefang] mimedefang letting some spams through...why?

Tony tonj at freeuk.com
Wed Feb 3 08:35:48 EST 2010

----- Original Message -----
From: "Aniruddha Barua" <zmrif at yahoo.com>
To: <mimedefang at lists.roaringpenguin.com>
Sent: Wednesday, February 03, 2010 1:12 PM
Subject: Re: [Mimedefang] mimedefang letting some spams through...why?

> Many of us told you to check your MDA configuration which we all
> believe to be "procmail". MTAs like sendmail normally do not save
> messages directly to user
> mailboxes. They hand over the delivery work to MDAs like procmail. For
> procmail, there may be system wide configuration in "/etc/procmailrc"
> file or per user configuration in user home directories (e.g.
> /home/tony/.procmailrc). Contents of procmailrc file might look like
> this:
> ---------
>
> LOGNAME=/var/log/procmail
> DROPPRIVS=yes
> DEFAULT=$HOME/Maildir/
> MAILDIR=$HOME/Maildir/
<snip>

my procmailrc file contains just this:
ORGMAIL=$HOME/mbox
DEFAULT=$ORGMAIL
DROPPRIVS=yes

:0fw
* < 500000
| /usr/bin/spamc

maybe those lines are the culprit. When newly installed I backed up the
original file procmailrc file and it contained just this:
ORGMAIL=$HOME/mbox
DEFAULT=$ORGMAIL

I've now edited the procmailrc file back to this original version so
i'll keep and eye on the headers...