[Mimedefang] [Patch] relay_is_* not ipv6 friendly

Michiel Brandenburg apex at xepa.nl
Tue Feb 2 11:23:54 EST 2010

On 2-2-2010 15:37, David F. Skoll wrote:
> +        if( $ip[$_] =~ /\./ ) {
> +            # ipv4 mapped as ipv6
> +            my @extraOcts = unpack('H4H4', pack('C4C4C4C4', split(/\./,
>
> Actually, the Perl code will never see an IPv6-mapped IPv4 address, because
> the mimedefang.c code converts such an address to "pure" IPv4:
Ahh good to know ... there u go .. in a mixed environment ( c and perl )
u never know where to look :)

Is that a good approach btw ? Ipv6 mapped ipv4 address are ipv6 not ipv4
addresses in the strictest terms, no? I though the only way you could
receive these types of hybrid addresses were if you are ipv6 only and
your client is ipv4 only (with a transparent ipv4 -> ipv6 gateway in
between somewhere).

Say you are on a ipv4 only network you would never receive those
addresses while if you are on a ipv6 only network all of a sudden you
might get data from an ipv4 address (but you are ipv6 only), that might
throw a spanner in the works.

The ipv6 mapped ipv4 should only happen on a hybrid or ipv6 only stack.
For checking RBL lists it might be interesting to check both the ipv4
and the ipv6 variant of the same address.  But to do that you would need
the ipv6 variant :), dunno if it's worth changing or how much would
break if it were changed.

Lemme know what you guys think, my ipv6 knowledge is not that up to
date, I can refactor the patch if needed, or better yet change the patch
so we can check both ipv4 and ipv6 if we want.

--
Michiel