[Mimedefang] auto reply / vacation

David F. Skoll dfs at roaringpenguin.com
Tue Feb 2 08:50:01 EST 2010

ml ml wrote:

> has anyone got some hints for me how to write a  auto  reply /
> vacation script? Or is there already such a project out there which
> does that kind of stuff?

I agree with the sentiment that MIMEDefang is the wrong place to
do this; it should be done by the final delivery agent.

I use the vacation program that ships with Sendmail.  It does not have:

> - start/stop date (vacation)

But I use "at" to manipulate my .forward file.  Vacation does not have:

> - ldap support

But I don't need that.  If you are going to write your own, I'd encourage
you to study the vacation(1) source code; it contains measures that
eliminate most of the worst auto-responder behaviour.