[Mimedefang] mimedefang letting some spams through...why?

Jan-Pieter Cornet johnpc at xs4all.nl
Mon Feb 1 03:37:03 EST 2010

Op 1 feb 2010, om 03:55 heeft - het volgende geschreven:
> As your sample spams have headers that MimeDefang did NOT add to
> each message, SOMETHING ELSE is reviewing and operating on the
> message.

My guess is: you call spamassassin also from .procmailrc (or something
similar), and your $SALocalTestsOnly is set to the default (true), so
you're not doing network tests. Certainly the first spam that you
pointed to, has a lot of network tests.

Setting "$SALocalTestsOnly = 0;" in your filter will probably fix some
of the spam that's coming through.

Also, be aware that setting up Bayesian filtering is not trivial. You
can use a global bayesian database (and for starters, simply copy the
one that's in your homedirectory), but you must remember to train that
database, if you want bayesian filtering. I don't have the recipes
handy for setting up Bayesian filtering via mimedefang, but either the
manpage, the archives for this list, or the wiki should provide enough
information to get it working.

Also, you'd better search for that spamassassin call in your local
delivery agent (procmail?) and disable it (cause currently your mail
server is pushing each message through spamassassin twice).

--
Jan-Pieter Cornet <johnpc at xs4all.nl>
"People are continuously reinventing the flat tyre".