[Mimedefang] patches/support of off-server clamd implimentation?

Tom Brown wc-mimedefang at vmail.baremetal.com
Wed Apr 21 13:34:37 EDT 2010

clamd seems to be getting increasingly memory intensive. The default
mimedefang clamd support wants to talk to a clamd daemon on the local
machine, but I'm beginning to think that I'd rather run clamd on ONE box
and have MD connect to it.  I still have a few small servers around that
only have 512 Meg of ram and having clamd eat half of it is not very nice.

AFAICS, the current Mimedefang code is UNIX socket specific
(entity_contains_virus_clamd and message_contains_virus_clamd)

     my $sock = IO::Socket::UNIX->new(Peer => $clamd_sock);
     if (defined $sock) {

it seems it should be fairly trivial to change that to be able to support
a hostname:port pair, and use the appropriate socket type. Then the code
would also need to be modified to send the data over the connection (clamd
INSTREAM command) instead of sending a filename... (again, a fairly simple
change).

The reason for this post is to ask if such patches would be likely to make
it into the mainstream? Or possibly if others have already done this?

-Tom