[Mimedefang] IP Reputation data collection (announcement, Internet draft)

David F. Skoll dfs at roaringpenguin.com
Fri Apr 30 22:00:24 EDT 2010

- wrote:

> Blocking MX records that eventually resolve to localhost or
> documentation addresses (or don't resolve at all) is what comes to
> mind first.

The goal is to collect reputation information about *IP* addresses.
We don't collect reputation about senders or (claimed) domains.

Now, if you want to have a separate event for:

"IP address a.b.c.d sent mail from a domain with invalid MX records"

then I guess that might make sense, except I worry that the data will
become a bit diffuse.  The more event types you shovel into the database,
the harder it is to spot trends and to determine which hosts are bad.