[Mimedefang] Increasing Multiplexor Queue Size

Roberto Ullfig rullfig at uic.edu
Fri Apr 9 11:19:20 EDT 2010

David F. Skoll wrote:
> Roberto Ullfig wrote:
>

>> What are the disadvantages of increasing the multiplexor queue size?
>>

> Queueing is relatively cheap.  However, it's really a hack designed to
> make a server cope a little better with temporary overload.  If you find
> that MIMEDefang is queueing requests most of the time, then increasing
> the queue size won't help.  Your server is overloaded and making the
> queue bigger won't increase throughput.
>
> Regards,
>
> David.

We get occasional bursts of e-mail and sometimes the multiplexor queue
fills up and sendmail starts returning 451s (which isn't _that_ big of a
deal). I was considering doubling the queue size. If this will just
result in extra files being dumped in the queue directory (which is in
RAM in our case) then I'd like to do it. No other process on the system
should consume more memory or cpu if I do this right?

Roberto Ullfig - rullfig at uic.edu
ACCC Systems Programmer