[Mimedefang] append_text_boilerplate problems

IFB Network Operations network-ops at ifb.net
Thu Sep 24 07:00:37 EDT 2009

Hi All,

we're currently seeing a problem with using append_text_boilerplate in
that it is appending our boilerplate message to the end of attached text
files.

The emails in question have the body being sent as html without an
inline text/plain part.  The only text/plain parts are attached .txt
files which aren't inline.  We're passing the 0 as the last parameter to
the function call to instruct this function to append the boilerplate to
the first text/plain part.

 From looking at the source in mimedefang.pl it looks like this function
doesn't check whether the part the boilerplate is applied to is inline
or not, it just appends it to the first text/plain part is finds.  Does
anyone know if this is intentional or is it assume that HTML emails
should always have an inline text/plain part?

This is causing us some problems as the text parts in questions are
license keys which are getting munged.

I've done some digging through the MIME RFCs and can't find anything
that states that an inline text/plain must always be included but maybe
someone knows otherwise?

We can work on putting a patch together if this is affecting anyone else?

Cheers.