[Mimedefang] mimedefang fails to start upon reboot

Paul Murphy Paul.Murphy at argentadiscovery.com
Tue Nov 10 07:20:12 EST 2009

Jef,

> Nov  7 23:45:30 phantom mimedefang-multiplexor[936]: Starting slave 1 (pid  1238) (1 running): Bringing slaves up to minSlaves (2)
> Nov  7 23:45:30 phantom mimedefang-multiplexor[936]: Slave 1 stderr: Out of memory during request for 4088 bytes, total sbrk() is 9553920 bytes!
> Nov  7 23:45:30 phantom mimedefang-multiplexor[936]: Slave 1 stderr: Out of memory during request for 48 bytes, total sbrk() is 9553920 bytes!
> Nov  7 23:45:30 phantom mimedefang-multiplexor[936]: Reap: slave 1 (pid 1238) exited due to signal 11 (SLAVE DIED UNEXPECTEDLY)

>To recap, upon reboot, mimedefang continually pukes out error messages
>like the ones listed above until the process is manually stopped and
>restarted.  After that, it works just fine.

So the system runs OK under your environment, but not under the startup environment.  From the error messages, I'd suspect that you have somehow limited the memory use of processes on the system by default, and then in your interactive environment you specifically remove any limits, so when you start it manually all is OK.  To test this, include some code in the system startup script to dump the current shell limits to a temp file, and see what happens when you next restart the system.

MIMEDefang processes are fairly memory hungry because they load the full SpamAssassin rule set, so if you have limited the memory use they may hit that limit either as they start, or once messages start to come in.

On the start order, MIMEDefang does indeed start before Sendmail, as it creates a socket which Sendmail expects to find on startup.

Best Wishes,

Paul.

Paul Murphy
Head of I.T.