[Mimedefang] Sendmail::Milter

Dave O'Neill dmo at roaringpenguin.com
Wed Nov 25 15:12:37 EST 2009

On Wed, Nov 25, 2009 at 07:42:46PM -0000, Paul Murphy wrote:
> I'm seriously considering having a filter routine which adds 5 to the
> score of anything which arrives at the secondary when the primary is
> known to be up...

Known to be up by who, and from where?

If your primary and secondary are in the same datacentre, on the same
network, you might get away with it.  You can pretty much guarantee that
the network path from the sender to your primary or secondary is the
same if they both live on the same router in your rack.

However, if you split your MXes on different networks (different colo
facilities, for example) you have no way of knowing if the sender can
actually route to your primary.  It's entirely possible that due to
network outages or weird peering issues they may have no route to the
primary, or have their connection to it is so slow that it times out.
Both will cause their legit mail to be retried on the secondary, which
might be reachable given that it's on a different network.

Cheers,
Dave
--
Dave O'Neill <dmo at roaringpenguin.com>    Roaring Penguin Software Inc.