[Mimedefang] mimedefang fails to start upon reboot

Aniruddha Barua zmrif at yahoo.com
Fri Nov 20 10:34:11 EST 2009

----- Original Message ----

These messages come from sendmail as it can't find the socket which has just been removed by
"stop" command. I never ran Free BSD systems but I am getting this impression that "stop" and "start"
have problems. May be "stop" is taking time to clean things up. When you are rebooting the machine,
"stop" may not have finished things up and while starting up, "start" shows those error messages.
Try this, before rebooting the machine, manually stop mimedefang and wait 5 secs or so and then reboot
the machine. See what happens while start up. Also, please see below.

> A stop with a short delay, then another start seems to do the trick.
>
> > What are the other related services like clamav or other anti virus running in
> your host? Any other memory intensive application running?
>
> Nothing serious is running.  Not even clam as a daemon.
>
> > When you compiled mimedefang, did it show any error/warning message(s)?
>
> Not much to see, although, from the config, this could be interesting:
>
> checking if it is safe to destroy and recreate a Perl interpreter... Bus error
> (core dumped)
> no
>
> During compile time, I found this:
>
> ./embperl.c: In function 'make_embedded_interpreter':
> ./embperl.c:72: warning: passing argument 2 of 'Perl_sys_init3' from
> incompatible pointer type

Regarding the "core dumped" and the above two warn. messages during config and
compile time, please see the "EMBEDDING PERL" section in the "mimedefang-multiplexor"
man page. What were your options in "./configure" command?