[Mimedefang] mimedefang fails to start upon reboot

Paul Murphy Paul.Murphy at argentadiscovery.com
Tue Nov 17 08:18:55 EST 2009

Jef,

Your system startup script (/etc/init.d/mimedefang or similar) runs under the Bourne shell on most systems, so near the top of the startup file, add a line like this:

ulimit -a > /tmp/mimedefang.$$

Reboot the system, let MIMEdefang fail, then restart it manually, and compare the outputs from the two processes - there will be two files in /tmp, one from the initial startup, and one from the manual startup.

Just to clarify, when you restart the process "manually", I presume you are using something like "/etc/init.d/mimedefang restart" rather than killing the processes and then running mimdefang-multiplexor from the command line?

The perl.core file might be useful to someone happy to run a debugger over it in conjunction with the Perl source code and a full set of source for all of the modules, but otherwise it is likely to be of little use - I suspect it will report the same memory allocation errors, and not a lot more.

Best Wishes,

Paul.

Paul Murphy
Head of I.T.