[Mimedefang] Email in Korean language becomes clutterd andunreadable when received.

Kevin A. McGrail kmcgrail at pccc.com
Wed Nov 11 10:22:24 EST 2009

Aniruddha,

Stephen already replied as well but making a number of assumptions, it's
possible you have a FalsePositive issue with your SpamAssassin setup.  In
short, while MD uses SA, the culprit is likely SA and more specifically that
you are tagging foreign language emails as Spam.

The numbers in the report below add up to 8.5.  What is your threshold in
SpamAssassin for marking an email as Spam?

Assuming it is below 8.5, (The default is 5.0), the email was likely mangled
because it was treated as Spam.

Try adding these lines to disable those rules to your sa-mimedefang.cf and
restart MD.

score CHARSET_FARAWAY_HEADER 0
score CHARSET_FARAWAY 0
score MIME_CHARSET_FARAWAY 0
score HTML_CHARSET_FARAWAY 0

Assuming this works, what you might want to do instead is exclude your
internal network from being scanned by SpamAssassin.  Because MD is calling
SA, I use a routine like the following:

sub is_authorized_sender {
  my ($sender, $RelayAddr, $helo) = @_;
  my ($auth, $popauthdb);

  $auth = 0;

  if ($RelayAddr =~ /^127\.0\.0\.1$/) {
    return 1;
  }

  if ($RelayAddr =~ /^192\.168\.1\.\d{1,3}$/) {
    return 1;
  }

  return $auth;
}

Then add a loop around your SA calls that utilizes this test:

if (($Features{"SpamAssassin"} and $authorized_sender < 1) {
}

The is_authorized_user can be extended greatly to test for use of SMTP AUTH,
etc.  My routine has quite a few bells and whistles so it's a great
foundation.

Regards,
KAM