[Mimedefang] Xmimedefang: local socket name problem

Scott Silva ssilva at sgvwater.com
Thu May 14 13:20:42 EDT 2009

on 5-14-2009 9:59 AM Jon Rowlan spake the following:
> I am just building up a new Debian server with the usual (MD/SA/Milter-ahead/Clam) and I have found a strange problem.
>
> I have a reload script that ends with the following :
>
> /etc/init.d/mimedefang force-reload
> /etc/init.d/sendmail reload
>
> If I run this then I get ..
>
> Reloading Mail Transport Agent (MTA): sendmailWARNING: Xmimedefang: local socket name /var/spool/MIMEDefang/mimedefang.sock missing
>
> But if I REM out the last and run the script then run the sendmail reload line from the prompt it is fine.
>
> A number of articles mention this problem and usually the answer is to check to see if sendmail and MD are running in which case its nothing to worry about.
>
> But I like my scripts to tell me the truth :-)
>
> And I have also noticed that mimedefang has suddenly become Xmimedefang ... did I miss something there?
>
> Any ideas anyone?
>
> Cheers,

You could try changing the reload script to;
/etc/init.d/mimedefang force-reload && /etc/init.d/sendmail reload

That way sendmail won't start until the load of mimedefang is finished,
otherwise your script is trying to start sendmail before mimedefang has
completed its init.