[Mimedefang] stream_by_recipient() and postfix

David F. Skoll dfs at roaringpenguin.com
Wed May 13 18:40:30 EDT 2009

Tuc at T-B-O-H wrote:

> 	Has anyone tried to use stream_by_recipient() with Postfix?
> I seem to get it to split the message up, but once it does it stops
> processing the rest of it via the milter. Any "filter_end" or
> "filter_multipart" stops being run.

> 	Anything I can do (BESIDES switching to sendmail. :) )

I don't believe Postfix re-submits locally-generated mail via SMTP
the way (modern) Sendmail does.

So you have three choices:

1) Use Sendmail.

2) Use Sendmail, but *only* for stream_by_recipient().  You'd need a
special installation of Sendmail that only runs the client-queue part
and submits streamed mail back to Postfix via SMTP.

3) Write your own routines that queue up and resubmit streamed mail
via SMTP.  Since this involves writing a large chunk of an MTA, you
probably don't want this choice.

(Well, there's always (4): Explain the problem to Wietse Venema and
see if he can work with you on a solution.  He might be willing to
make Postfix optionally resubmit locally-queued mail via SMTP over loopback.
I would love to see that, actually; I would seriously look at Postfix
as a replacement MTA in that case.)