[Mimedefang] duplicate subject headers {Scanned by vsl mailsafe}

Kenneth Porter shiva at sewingwitch.com
Thu Mar 26 19:56:33 EDT 2009

On Thursday, March 26, 2009 4:22 PM -0700 Jeff Makey <jeff at sdsc.edu> wrote:

> I'll go out on a limb again with the suggestion that no RFC explicitly
> allows an MTA to remove non-compliant Subject headers from e-mail, but I
> can't find any prohibitions either (RFC 2821 requires the preservation of
> Received headers, but is silent about others).

Perhaps it makes more sense to flat-out reject such messages, on the same
grounds that you would reject malformed SMTP commands. One could have a
rejection message that says "violates RFC2822" (with possibly more detail
like "multiple subject lines").

What does an MTA do with even more-malformed messages? Could I "legally"
submit line noise to an MTA and expect it to deliver it? Or does it just
invoke the LDA to drop the gibberish in the user's mailbox and hope the MUA
can make sense of it?

(I still think the sender needs to be hit with a cluestick.)