[Mimedefang] duplicate subject headers {Scanned by vsl mailsafe}

Kenneth Porter shiva at sewingwitch.com
Thu Mar 26 15:58:09 EDT 2009

On Thursday, March 26, 2009 4:42 PM +0000 Paul Houselander
<housey at sme-ecom.co.uk> wrote:

> Is there a way to stop mimedefang from removing the subject when it sees
> multiple ones?

The logic to do that is in do_scan in mimedefang.pl, and is unconditional.

I believe there was a string of spam that took advantage of sloppy clients
accepting multiple subject lines to put the spammy subject line in one and
an innocuous one for the spam filter in the other, and this was an attempt
to stop that.

Can you tell us who is providing the broken message? Perhaps a little
public shame could help to clean up the Internet and make all our lives a
little less spammy.

(I'd sure love to be able to reject broken HTML, since spam often uses
sloppy HTML parsers to sneak crap through, and this is just another case of
the same problem.)