[Mimedefang] Mimedefang and sendmail queueing

Stefan Schoeman stefan at internext.co.za
Wed Jun 10 03:30:57 EDT 2009

Hi everyone,

I've been using MIMEDefang for some years now and it is just the most
fabulous tool.
It's really the tool that allows me to take control of mail, and not
just anti-virus and anti-spam.
Thanks again David for writing this - this is really cool.

I was wondering if someone could perhaps advise me on a new aspect that
I'd like to implement, and whether MIMEDefang can help me with this.
Basically, I run a number of relay servers that do a couple of things
with mail (Anti Virus, Anti-Spam, Mail splits, funny redirects and so
on). What I am finding is that there are times where I would like to
alter the queuing strategy of the mail. As an example, I may get in some
really big emails for a given client that I know will take too long to
deliver to them. What I would like to do with such mails, is defer their
delivery so that they will rather deliver overnight than say right now.
It's almost as if I'd like to place such mails into a different mail
queue, that have differently timed queue runners to process them. What I
do right now is move the files from my /var/spool/mqueue to some other
directory (say /var/spool/queue1) and then manually start a queue runner
as follows: sendmail -q -oQ/var/spool/queue1. Or just have a queue
runner that processes the queue at different intervals than my main mail
queue.

This works, but I'd like to do this a lot better. What I would really
appreciate is if someone could teach me how to define multiple queues
for sendmail, and then if someone could advise me on whether it is
possible in MIMEDefang to indicate to sendmail which mail queue to place
and email in when the filter is done. It's almost like as if I need a
MIMEDefang function action_accept(queuename or directory) that would
indicate to sendmail into which queue to place the message. What would
be even nicer is if I could access the status of a given queue from
MIMEDefang, so that I could make decisions on queues based on the status
of that queue (for example how many messages it contains etc).

Can the experts on this list please give me their appreciated insights
on this?

Thanks

Stefan Schoeman