[Mimedefang] Mimedefang and sendmail queueing

Austin messaging.directories at gmail.com
Wed Jun 10 13:41:32 EDT 2009

On Wed, Jun 10, 2009 at 12:30 AM, Stefan Schoeman<stefan at internext.co.za> wrote:
[snip]
> What I
> am finding is that there are times where I would like to alter the queuing
> strategy of the mail. As an example, I may get in some really big emails for
> a given client that I know will take too long to deliver to them. What I
> would like to do with such mails, is defer their delivery so that they will
> rather deliver overnight than say right now. It's almost as if I'd like to
> place such mails into a different mail queue, that have differently timed
> queue runners to process them.
[snip]

An idea (no testing, or real assurance that it would work) would be to
use MD to write a Socketmap (look in the manpage for mimedefang-filter
in the section SOCKET MAPS), then write some m4 for sendmail.cf that
will do the appropriate lookups and piriority/delivery queue/mailer
assignment.  Hmm, perhaps you could define a different mailer DSMTP
(Deferred SMTP) that did what you wanted, then use that for the
affected mail.

Anyway, wild speculation from someone who has never really mucked with
sendmail at that level, but has read about it :)

Cheers,
Austin.