[Mimedefang] Message header madness

Bernd Petrovitsch bernd at firmix.at
Fri Jul 31 09:13:21 EDT 2009

On Fri, 2009-07-31 at 01:35 -0700, - wrote:
[...]
>  Usenet, there are people who use "Reply-To" specifying a mailbox
> under the reserved ".invalid" TLD and other values like "example.com".
> If this is their only violation, their messages won't

Are you really sure?
It's usually the other way around: You put an invalid email address (or
one from a spam trap) into the "From:" and the real (and read) one into
the "Reply-To:".
The reason is that the "From:" addresses can be seen with the (quite
cheap) list of all postings in a group, the "Reply-To:" only if you get
the whole posting.
Caveat emptor: Rules from the SMTP world may not apply to the NNTP
world.

>  be marked as spammy -- but I stand by my view that a positive value
> (toward spaminess) should still be assigned when it is identical to
> the "From" header value.
Feel free to do it but I don't think it makes any sense to "punish"
people for setting the default value into an optional field.

	Bernd
          Embedded Linux Development and Services