[Mimedefang] SNARE spam detection (Phishing list)

- kd6lvw at yahoo.com
Wed Jul 29 22:08:57 EDT 2009

--- On Wed, 7/29/09, David F. Skoll <dfs at roaringpenguin.com> wrote:
2009, 5:51 PM
> John Nemeth wrote:
> >      Something that would be nice here would be a DNSBL style list that
> > sites could use for checking outgoing mail to prevent endusers from
> > sending mail to phishers.
>
> We've incorporated data from:
>
> http://code.google.com/p/anti-phishing-email-reply/source/browse/trunk/phishing_reply_addresses
>
> into our commercial products.  We don't make it avaiable via DNSBL,
> but do make it downloadable by customers with updates several times a
> day.  Hacking something like that into a MIMEDefang filter is quite
> doable.

As it lists mailboxes, not domains, it doesn't scale to a DNSBL.  A better implementation may be as a sendmail text map file, called from custom header rulesets than to have it looked up under MD.  However, that would require a cron-job to check and update it on a regular basis (includign any needed reformatting), while MD could work with it from a remote host UDP or TCP connection.