[Mimedefang] spamtrap question

NFN Smith worldoff9908 at mail.com
Tue Jan 27 15:19:34 EST 2009

I'm running MIMEDefang 2.57 with Sendmail 8.13.8 on a Debian server, and
trying to improve my spamtrapping methodology, a bit.

In my current setups, when my server receives a mail delivery attempt, I
have things set to do an LDAP query, and for addresses that fail the
query, we reject the message.

I also watch my logs, and track invalid addresses that continually
receive mail.  For the addresses that are hit frequently and
consistently, I convert those to spamtraps, adjusting the sendmail
virtusertable to redirect mail into a mailbox that I read.

The place where I have difficulty is with addresses with former users
that are now no longer valid.  If a user leaves, I generally leave
things set for at least 6 months, where inbound mail to that address is
rejected, to allow for legitimate senders to get the idea that the
address is no longer accepting mail.

The problem is that with this methodology, if I'm accepting messages,
then senders aren't getting rejection messages (and some senders are
just as persistent over time, as the spammers).

Thus, what I want to do is adjust things so that when a message is sent
to an address that I'm trapping for, the sender gets the standard NDR
from an SMTP 554 error, but that the spamtrap still gets a copy of the
of the message content (as I'm currently doing with the virtusertable).

Is there a way to do this in MIMEDefang?

Smith