[Mimedefang] questions about filter parsing, message mod'ing, and bouncing messages

- kd6lvw at yahoo.com
Mon Aug 31 15:19:06 EDT 2009

> > So, I figured I could use the action_notify_sender() to do this,
>
> Don't do that.  You'll be blacklisted for generating backscatter within
> hours.

I disagree - but in a narrow circumstance.  As long as he is not doing this in response to forged messages, then any NDR won't be backscatter.  It should NOT be done for spam either.  In fact, the types of errors that it should be done for will generally not be detectable by MD in advance of message acceptance.

Could we alias "action_bounce()" to "action_reject()" for the latter name is a better description of what it's actually doing?  I suggest an alias instead of renaming the function for backwards compatibility.

I believe that there are some people who think "bounce" means to issue an SMTP 4xx/5xx message instead of assembling an NDR message because of its inconsistent use such as here.