[Mimedefang] questions about filter parsing, message mod'ing, and bouncing messages

David F. Skoll dfs at roaringpenguin.com
Mon Aug 31 14:00:55 EDT 2009

Jason Bertoch wrote:

> My perl skills are weak at best.  How would one make $names a substr of
> itself?

$names = substr($names, 0, LENGTH);

> I too have seen cases where Exchange has mangled, chopped, or "interpreted"
> an error message, but I still feel it's my duty to at least try and pass on
> a useful message.

We use something like this:

"Message rejected for policy reasons.  For assistance, please call
 +1 613-231-6599 and quote Incident ID 9999999."

(Our anti-spam system assigns integer IDs; you could use Sendmail queue
identifiers or whatever you need to hunt the problem down.)

In some 6 years of doing this, we've been called exactly once.