[Mimedefang] which mimedefang.pl us used

Paul Murphy Paul.Murphy at argentadiscovery.com
Wed Apr 22 07:57:01 EDT 2009

>>> "Jon Rowlan" <jon.rowlan at sads.com> 22/04/2009 08:12 >>>
>             <EXCH1.central.ad.ucc.ie #5.7.1 smtp;554 5.7.1 domain of
> jon.rowlan at sads.com does not designate 143.239.1.130 as permitted
> sender>

Note that the error is coming from an Exchange server at University College, Cork in Ireland - and 143.239.1.130 is in their address allocation.  The bounce comes from them, as a result of someone in that domain being subscribed to the list.

> This must be an internal routing error at the roaringpenguin end surely?
> My email was sent from 213.210.24.131 and as you have seen my spf is set up ok.

Yes, but it seems that someone at UCC is routing mail through to a system which is configured to do SPF checks when it isn't the host first receiving the message, so it is bound to fail.  Plus, your message as sent via the list should arrive with an envelope sender of mimedefang-bounces at lists.roaringpenguin.com, so the Exchange system is terminally broken in checking the From: or Reply-To: fields of the message against SPF.

Best Wishes,

Paul.