[Mimedefang] which mimedefang.pl us used

Rob MacGregor rob.macgregor at gmail.com
Tue Apr 21 04:46:08 EDT 2009

On Tue, Apr 21, 2009 at 09:31, Jon Rowlan <jon.rowlan at sads.com> wrote:

> I have checked that Rob,
>
> The -f option seems to apply to which filter to use, not which
> mimedefang.pl is used. One server calls mimedefang.pl from /etc/mail and
> the other from /usr/bin

Did you read the entire section for the -f option, or just the first few words?

       -f filter_path
              Normally, mimedefang-multiplexor  executes  a  Perl  filter
              script  called  mimedefang.pl to scan the e-mail.  However,
              you can have it execute any program you like by  specifying
              the full path to the program with the -f option.  This pro-
              gram must obey the protocol documented in mimedefang-proto-
              col(7); see that manual page for details.

              Note  that  the  -f option does not specify the "filter" to
              use with mimedefang.pl; instead, it specifies  the  program
              for  mimedefang-multiplexor  to  execute.   You almost cer-
              tainly should not  use  this  option  unless  you  wish  to
              replace mimedefang.pl with your own program.

That makes it pretty clear to me that you'd use "-f
/etc/mail/mimedefang.pl" as an argument to mimedefang-multiplexor to
get it to call your customised version of mimedefang.pl.

--
                 Please keep list traffic on the list.

Rob MacGregor