[Mimedefang] thoughts on "nolisting"?

Gary Funck gary at intrepid.com
Thu Sep 11 12:20:34 EDT 2008

On 09/10/08 08:16:44, WBrown at e1b.org wrote:

> I played with it briefly and did not notice much of a decrease in spam
> coming to the actual servers.  However, I do not have any backup MX servers
> that are not running filtering.  My understanding is it only offers some
> value when you have unfiltered backup MX servers.  Is your backup MX not
> filtered?  Can that be changed?

Our backup MX is not filtered (mailhop.org), and probably can't be
changed either.  We have another server colacted on a big ISP
that might make a good candidate for a backup MX, where we'd replicate our
current mail filtering configuration.  In the meantime, we've disabled
the backup MX, in order to establish a baseline.  After that, we might
try nolisting to get a feel for how well that works.

> It is certainly a low cost technique, so there's little reason not to try
> it.  Let us know how it works for you.

will do.