[Mimedefang] Problem with permissions

Bill Maidment bill at maidment.vu
Tue Sep 9 21:42:52 EDT 2008

On Wed, 10 Sep 2008 10:15:58 +0900, Alan Premselaar wrote

> on 9/10/08 7:04 AM Bill Maidment said the following:
>
> > Starting sendmail: 451 4.0.0 /etc/mail/sendmail.cf: line 1804: Xmimedefang: local socket
> > name /var/spool/MIMEDefang/mimedefang.sock unsafe: Permission denied
> >                                                            [FAILED]
> ....snip...
> >
> > drwx------  2 defang defang  140 2008-09-10 07:50 MIMEDefang
> >
> Bill,
>
>  Since it's very likely that sendmail is not being run as the defang
> user, it doesn't have read permissions to /var/spool/MIMEDefang.
> Therefore, you need to set the permissions to 755.
>
> Alan

I understand the logic in what you say, but I have never had to do that before. I
checked a server I set up just last week with the same configuration, and it is quite
happy with the user defang and 700 permissions. The file that matters is surely
mimedefang.sock which has 750 permissions.

Anyway setting permissions to 755 on /var/spool/MIMEDefang still causes the same error.

Maybe something went wrong with the sendmail install, so I will try reinstalling that
from scratch.

Thanks
Bill

--