[Mimedefang] filter_before

Jonas Eckerman jonas_lists at frukt.org
Mon Oct 20 11:05:35 EDT 2008

I can't remember if I've brought this up before or not...
(If I have, you have my apologies for doing it again.)

Attached is a simple but so far *mostly* *untested* patch that
adds a filter hook to MIMEDefang. The new hook is called just
before mimedefang.pl parses a received email into a MIME::Entity.

The reason I want this hook is that we use greylisting that
tempfails after DATA and that I'm currently seeing a rise in the
load on hour mail gateway. Since most of the mails that gets to
the data phase are stopped by the greylist,I can save some
resources by tempfailing those mails before parsing them.

Since the hook is called from do_scan() in mimedefang.pl, it
should be possible to do most things that can be done in
filter_begin but doesn't require a MIME entity (calling a virus
scanner for example, or puting in a spam trap spool).

Before I go further with this I'd like some input:

* Do any of you see anything obviously wrong in the code?
Anything that'd give me problems if I start tepmfailing or
rejecting in the new hook?

* Is this something that might get implemented in the official
mimedefang.pl? If not, is the basic idea ok for the official
software, but not implemented in a way that is ok?

* Does anyone have a suggestion for a better name than
"filter_before" for this hook?

Regards
/Jonas

--