[Mimedefang] SMTP AUTH password can be used in Mimedefang?

Tilman Schmidt t.schmidt at phoenixsoftware.de
Mon Nov 24 03:45:21 EST 2008

On Mon, 24 Nov 2008 14:42:33 +0800, sosogh wrote:
> It is useless to change the MX record ,pointing to Anti-spam proxy server.Because spammer will send spams to the backend mail server directly,not by the MX record. And also I cannot change the IP of backend mail server.

That's easily prevented, either by configuring the backend server
itself to reject unauthenticated connections from IP addresses
that do not belong to your own organization or by blocking
access to the SMTP port of the backend server from the outside
on your firewall.

> I will redirect the "SMTP connection whose destination is backend mail server" to the transparent Anti-spam proxy server,so the transparent Anti-spam proxy server must verify that:
[...]
> 2.vaild SMTP AUTH user and password

Why would it need to do that? In other words: what relevance does
the SMTP authentication have for the operation of your anti-spam
relay?

HTH
T.

--