[Mimedefang] SpamAssassin via mimedefang is slow

Jeff Rife mimedefang at nabs.net
Sat Nov 8 00:39:35 EST 2008

On 8 Nov 2008 at 0:53, Michiel Brandenburg wrote:

> Another tip: take a look at Digest::Nilsimsa (in my implementation I can
> detect 60% of the spam at the data phase without restoring to heavy
> scanners, like spamassassin, and temp fail it).

OK, I took a look at it.

It seems to be just another digest system, although I don't understand
what it uses to generate the hash.  But, once you have a hash, I can't
see how that would magically detect spam.

Now, it does appear that it might be able to recognize it as similar to
spam you have already received, but there is zero documentation on how
to do that.  And, it would mostly be useful as a distributed database,
but there doesn't appear to be anything like that available, either.

So, how does one use this in the real world?

BTW, only 25% of connections to my mail servers result in SA running,
so I don't think it will help me much, but it's probably worth some
time to look at.

--
Jeff Rife |