[Mimedefang] SpamAssassin via mimedefang is slow

Daniel Bourque dbourque at weatherdata.com
Thu Nov 6 16:32:34 EST 2008

Hi ,

    I'm experiencing slow performance on spamassasin's behalf when
called from mimedefang...  I added a md_syslog  call right just before
and after spam_assassin_check() in  filter_end() . This is what I get:

Nov  6 15:10:09 mail2 mimedefang.pl[10072]: ----- calling
spam_assassin_check ----
Nov  6 15:10:17 mail2 mimedefang.pl[10072]: ----- finished
spam_assassin_check ----

8 sec processing

so then I copy the delivered email from the cyrus email folder to
/tmp/junk6 and run spamassassin from shell against it,

[defang at mail2 ~]$ time spamassassin -t < /tmp/junk6 >/dev/null

real    0m1.608s
user    0m1.408s
sys     0m0.055s

< 2 sec processing

( using the debug flag shows the correct tests performed. )

/usr/bin/spamassassin is just a wrapper around the same perl modules
used by Mimedefang... so I'm a little puzzled.. As anyone ran into this
issue before ?

CentOS 5.2
perl-5.8.8-15.el5_2.1
spamassassin-3.2.4-1.el5