[Mimedefang] mimedefang and simple spamassassin test

Jon Rowlan jon.rowlan at sads.com
Mon May 12 12:20:56 EDT 2008

> If your problem is how to configure MD and SA to work (better)
together,
> than an interactive shell has no bearing on this issue (except for the

> purposes of testing).

Ah, understood.

> My first question would be what version of spamassassin are you using
and
> what version of mimedefang are you using?  I ask this because it
sounds like
> your filter might need the command detect_and_load_perl_modules();
because
> the language question you asked leads me to believe you are dealing
with an
> older version that has been upgraded without someone looking at the
> Changelog.

This is rather embarrassing. Suffice it to say that my version of Debian
is rather old. 2006. I am using the MD (3.1.7) and SA (2.5.7) from their
"stable" release. I need to upgrade.

> My second statement is a question about whether you understand that
> SpamAssassin when called using spamassassin or spamd/spamc modifies
emails
> but that MIMEDefang calls SpamAssassin more with a binary question of
"Is
> this Spam, true or false?".  Once you get this true or false answer,
it's up
> to your MD Filter to decide what to do with emails that are considered
SPAM
> and vice-versa.

Yes, I had understood this. SA reports in emails that I have been
filtering must have been from previous internet servers along the line.
I am using the default MD filtering that is built in to the MD standard
scripts. I have to admit that I have not been able to see what MD is up
to because I can't get passed a simple SA test. I have traced through
the perl code and it just doesn't pick up a mail that meets my test.

I need to get some upgrades done ...

Cheers

jON