[Mimedefang] mimedefang and simple spamassassin test

Jim McCullars jim at info.uah.edu
Tue May 6 09:52:43 EDT 2008

On Mon, 5 May 2008, Jon Rowlan wrote:

> The file /etc/spamassassin/local.cf has similar but different settings
> to the file /etc/mail/sa-mimedefang.cf. Reading notes in the

   Hi Jon, the problem with telling people what filenames to use, is that
it is dependent on config options when MD was built.  For exameple, on my
system, MD looks for its SA config in /usr/local/etc/mimedefang because I
put this on the ./configure line when I build MD:

	--sysconfdir=/usr/local/etc --with-confsubdir=mimedefang

I don't remember why I do it that way, maybe it was the example in the
docs at the time.

   There are three places that MD will look for a SpamAssassin config file
and it will use the first one it finds.  Look in your mimedefang.pl file
at about like 6420 (that's where it is on my MD 2.56 file) and you should
see something like this:

        if (!defined($config)) {
            if (-r "/usr/local/etc/mimedefang/sa-mimedefang.cf") {
                $config = "/usr/local/etc/mimedefang/sa-mimedefang.cf";
            } elsif (-r
"/usr/local/etc/mimedefang/spamassassin/sa-mimedefang.cf
") {
                $config =
"/usr/local/etc/mimedefang/spamassassin/sa-mimedefang.cf";
            } elsif (-r "/usr/local/etc/mimedefang/spamassassin/local.cf")
{
                $config =
"/usr/local/etc/mimedefang/spamassassin/local.cf";
            } else {
                $config = "/usr/local/etc/mimedefang/spamassassin.cf";
            }
        }

(sorry for the line wrap, but you get the idea).  At any rate, these are
the three files that MD will look for in trying to find a user preferences
file.  Look in mimedefang.pl for the spam_assassin_init routine and it
should be under there.

   HTH...

Jim McCullars
University of Alabama in Huntsville