[Mimedefang] Sendmail header file(s) - which one(s) is/are needed for MD?

Andrzej Marecki amr at astro.uni.torun.pl
Tue May 6 05:18:02 EDT 2008

Commenting on the thread "Sendmail 8.14.3 vs. mimedefang" David wrote:

> [...] My guess is that you compiled
> MIMEDefang against the new libraries, but against the old header files
> so the SMFI_VERSION macro does not match.

First off, of course, you were right, David. My mistake was that I did not
install new Sendmail *before* compiling MD with the new libmilter.a.
However, prior to compilation of MD but *after* compilation of Sendmail,
I made the following steps:

cd sendmail-8.14.3
cp -R include/* /usr/local/include/sendmail/
cp -R sendmail/*.h /usr/local/include/sendmail/
cp obj.Linux.2.6.17-1.2174_FC5.i686/*/*.a /usr/local/lib/

... as suggested by Mickey Hill's well known "The MIMEDefang HOWTO". It
appears though that this was not sufficient as only the procedure of
installing Sendmail copies mfapi.h and mfdef.h header files over to
/usr/include/libmilter. And this is /usr/include/libmilter/mfapi.h file
which is actually used during compilation of MD.

Having investigated this issue further, I discovered that

cp -R include/* /usr/local/include/sendmail/
cp -R sendmail/*.h /usr/local/include/sendmail/

commands are not only insufficient to get the header files right but in fact
are... completely unnecessary as the correct MD binaries can be obtained
without having ANY header files in /usr/local/include/sendmail/. BTW,
/usr/include/libmilter/mfapi.h is the *only* Sendmail's header file needed
for MD to compile properly.

All in all, it appears that Mickey's manual is a bit misleading with this
regard.

--
Andrzej

Andrzej Marecki                |
Torun Centre for Astronomy     |   e-mail: amr at astro.uni.torun.pl
N. Copernicus University       |   WWW:    http://www.astro.uni.torun.pl
ul. Gagarina 11                |   tel: +48 56 6113032
PL-87-100 Torun, POLAND        |   fax: +48 56 6113009