[Mimedefang] mimedefang and simple spamassassin test

Jon Rowlan jon.rowlan at sads.com
Mon May 5 13:39:53 EDT 2008

Hi Steffan,

> You don't run MIMEDefang on Windows, do you?

No, Debian, Sarge I think.

> I'm using another file in the site-wide spamassassin directory. Usual
> places would be /etc/mail/spamassassin or /etc/spamassassin. Maybe,
you
> need to symlink /etc/mail/spamassassin to /etc/spamasssin for the
> MIMEDefang SpamAssassin object to pick them up.

The file /etc/spamassassin/local.cf has similar but different settings
to the file /etc/mail/sa-mimedefang.cf. Reading notes in the
mimedefang.pl file, it seems that spamassassin is heavily controlled by
MD (headers cannot be replaced by SA for example). So it seems to me
that the sa-mimedefang file overrides the local.cf one. It makes sense
to me to leave both files in case I want to use SA with another app.

> Check if the spamassassin rules can be read:
> su mdefang -c 'spamassassin --lint -C /etc/mail/sa-mimdefang.cf -x'

I have tried ...

su defang -c 'spamassassin --lint -D -C /etc/spamassassin/local.cf -x'

and

su defang -c 'spamassassin --lint -D -C /etc/mail/sa-mimdefang.cf -x'

with and without the "-D" and neither give me any output on screen ???
Do I need to view a log somewhere?

> I think you need to add a
> describe BAD_TEST             Local rule BLA BLA

I tried this and no change.

jON