[Mimedefang] RE: SA-Bayes not working..

Pierre Forget pierre at pierreforget.com
Sat Jun 28 14:02:19 EDT 2008

Looks to me that you installed spamassassin as root (stderr: config:
path "/root/.spamassassin" is inaccessible: Permission denied). I had
the same problem with BAYES and system was trying to access BAYES
database in a /root directory: even if you change permission, it won't
work. I copied the BAYES file in another directory and pointed spamd
to read this new directory and it fixed the problem.

Hope this helps,

Pierre Forget

Tomasz Ostrowski <tometzky at batory.org.pl> writes:

> On 2008-06-25 19:01, Richard J. Kieran wrote:
>
>> RCVD_IN_DNSWL_LOW,SPF_HELO_PASS,SPF_PASS,USER_IN_ALL_SPAM_TO,USER_IN_WHITELIST
>> No sign of Bayes. It's not because I'm a whitelisted recipient, is
>> it?
>
> Could be - if you are in a whitelist there's no point in computing
> bayes, which is expensive, right? Test it.

I ran quite a few tests, and BAYES never showed up. I perusing the
logs, I found this:

/var/log/maillog:Jun 26 08:24:06 vfdr mimedefang-multiplexor[31847]:
Slave 1 stderr: config: path "/root/.spamassassin" is inaccessible:
Permission denied

It has been doing it from the beginning. Mostly it doesn't seem to
affect anything, but could it be a factor in the Bayes problem? I
thought I had solved it, but I think I just forgot about it. The file
in question does not exist, and with the setup I
have it should not be accessed. I think I ran into this on another
test server and it was trivial to fix, but since going from FreeBSD to
CentOS, many things are different... I Googled the message and found:

> Using mimedefang-2.63 ...
>
> After upgrading from SpamAssassin-3.2.2 to SpamAssassin-3.2.4
> I'm getting mimedefang-multiplexor errors:
>
>  mimedefang-multiplexor[8089]: Slave 5 stderr: config: path
>  "/root/.spamassassin" is inaccessible: Permission denied

Because the mimedefang through spamassassin want
to write bayes database (bayes_seen and bayes_toks)

Value by default for use_bayes is 1 in file
<spamassassin>/etc/mail/spamassassin/local.cf

So I turned off Bayes in sa-mimedefang.cf but I still get the error.
My head hurts!
Richard