[Mimedefang] whitelist_from_rcvd question

Jason Bertoch jason at electronet.net
Tue Jun 10 14:23:14 EDT 2008

> > (75-145-201-209-Jacksonville.hfc.comcastbusiness.net [75.145.201.209]
> (may be forged))
>
> ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
> Here's your problem. That host doesn't reverse properly.
>
> mimedefang sees the message as it is originally delivered, without the
> extra Received: header that your host, mail.electronet.net, adds to it.
> Mimedefang synthesizes that header, but uses a slightly different format
> than sendmail does. Among others, it doesn't add a "(may be forged)" in
> case of a non-FCRDNS, but just adds the relay with the IP only.

Since we all know Comcast will never grow a clue, I'm left with whitelisting
the sender.  However, it seems to me that MD ought to generate a header I
can work with and choose the final action.  If the header isn't generated
with the all information given to it from sendmail, I lose that ability.  I
would certainly prefer that the sender fix their end, but I need to be able
to create workarounds.

Is this a limitation of the milter interface, or is it a feature request for
MD?  I'm certainly aware that the decision to have MD work the way it does
was made for a reason...I just looking for options.

Jason