[Mimedefang] Re: Rejecting spam

Scott Silva ssilva at sgvwater.com
Fri Jul 11 19:30:53 EDT 2008

on 7-11-2008 3:05 PM Nigel Allen spake the following:
> Greetings
>
> Running our mail server on FC6 with the following installed:
>
> mimedefang-2.63-1.fc6
> sendmail-8.14.1-4.2.fc6
> spamassassin-3.2.3-1
>
> It's a plain vanilla install with no tweaks done.
>
> I would like to get mimedefang to do the following (assuming that it's
> possible)
>
> - Check the validity of the senders address by connecting to their MX
> and attempting a delivery. If it gets refused we reject the delivery.

Not considered polite anymore, and many systems will blacklist you for doing so.

> - Check inside each email looking for spamvertised web sites checking
> against SURBL and rejecting the mail if it gets a positive.

Sure on this one. You just have to write all the filters yourself or find some
already written.

> I thought the second one was a gimme (according to the documentation I
> have read) but it appears that a mailserver evolving for years and that
> I migrated from MailScanner to Mimedefang has overcome it.

So you migrated from a working MailScanner install so you could start over again?

> Can anyone suggest a good source of reading material for wrestling these
> three packages to the ground and getting them to play nice together?

And also toss in virus scanning somewhere.

> Alternatively if anyone has a magic wand they can wave for me.....

Sorry... Too busy pulling rabbits out of hats!  ;-P

--
MailScanner is like deodorant...
You hope everybody uses it, and