[Mimedefang] Trend Micro patent idiocy - and so it begins

Jan-Pieter Cornet johnpc at xs4all.nl
Wed Jan 30 16:15:28 EST 2008

On Wed, Jan 30, 2008 at 02:05:18PM -0500, David F. Skoll wrote:
> Oh, btw, before we hail Barracuda Networks as the good guys, they also
> have their own dumb, obvious patent.  See US patent 7,254,038.

As much as I hate patents (I believe all patents should be abolished -
or at least software patents), I don't think owning a patent, stupid
or not, is bad per se. Trying to enforce it, is bad.

I think it's telling that Barracuda doesn't try to settle this out
of court by showing Trend Micro their own stack of patents, but will
try to fight it, to get the patent annulled.

I don't know exactly who said it (IBM?) but in the current american
legal system, it's wise to stock up on a couple of patents, just to
defend yourself with, in case one of your competitors comes knocking
at the door.

It's a bit like WMD. You won't use them, because you know the other
guys have them, too. Well, in theory, at least.

--
Jan-Pieter Cornet <johnpc at xs4all.nl>
!! Disclamer: The addressee of this email is not the intended recipient. !!