[Mimedefang] MD tries to open /root/.spamassassin/user_prefs (was Re: mimedefang-multiplexor and bayes_path)

Kelson kelson at speed.net
Tue Jan 29 19:03:17 EST 2008

Eric DUVAL wrote:
>>     Jan 28 13:56:23 smtp mimedefang-multiplexor[13030]: Slave 3
>>     stderr: config: path "/root/.spamassassin" is inaccessible:
>>     Permission denied
>>
>> Why mimedefang-multiplexor (or mimedefang.pl) don't use bayes_path ?

I don't think bayes_path is related to this at all, as I've got a setup
that's using Bayes via MySQL, and none of the errors mention bayes.

Since upgrading from MIMEDefang 2.63 to 2.64, I've started seeing the
following pairs of errors on slave startup:

Jan 28 02:23:29 speed3 mimedefang-multiplexor[7521]: Slave 11 stderr:
config: path "/root/.spamassassin" is inaccessible: Permission denied
Jan 28 02:23:29 speed3 mimedefang-multiplexor[7521]: Slave 11 stderr:
config: path "/root/.spamassassin/user_prefs" is inaccessible:
Permission denied

I don't see anything obvious in the changelog, and it didn't start when
we upgraded SA to 3.2.4 a week or so earlier.

The error persists even when I explicitly set allow_user_rules to 0
(which is theoretically the default anyway).  Running spamassassin
--lint -D as another user suggests why: SA reads the user_prefs file
*before* it checks to see whether the config allows running any of those
rules.

Interestingly, if I explicitly set HOME to the defang user's homedir in
the init script, the messages disappear.  This suggests to me that MD
used to pick up the environment from the user specified in -U, but
doesn't anymore.

--
Kelson Vibber