[Mimedefang] Mildly Off-Topic: Yahoo! Mail

Jeff Rife mimedefang at nabs.net
Wed Jan 9 09:51:26 EST 2008

On 8 Jan 2008 at 22:22, Tim Boyer wrote:

> We have a single, unshared server. We do no mailings at all - none.  We've
> got SPF setup, an abuse address, postmaster gets read, etc. The only email
> we send to Yahoo! is single, non-automated messages from a human here to one
> of our vendors and one of our salesmen.
>
> It has become damn near impossible to get an email through to Yahoo.  I have
> filled out their damn forms a half-dozen times.  No response, no help at
> all.
>
> We have advised our vendor - and instructed our employee - to quit using
> Yahoo.  There is, unfortunately, no other solution.  They don't listen, they
> don't respond, and they don't care.

I hate to be a "me, too" AOLer, but we have the same situation.  A
single outgoing server, SPF, etc., and we only send single e-mails to
at most 3 Yahoo addresses at the same time, and still a lot of messages
just disappear.  Some show up in the spam folder for the Yahoo user
(for no good reason), but some just vanish.

I also have to ask...I know Yahoo is big, but do they really need 500
distinct IPs for e-mail servers?  I have 480 different yahoo.com IP
addresses that have connected to my mail server to send, and there's no
telling how many IP addresses I have connected to when sending to Yahoo
(I don't track that).

I can understand needing 500 e-mail servers with some sort of load-
balancing system, but why 480 distinct sending IPs?

--
Jeff Rife |

http://www.nabs.net/Cartoons/RhymesWithOrange/CatsAndDogs.jpg