[Mimedefang] Trend Micro patent idiocy - and so it begins

David F. Skoll dfs at roaringpenguin.com
Wed Jan 30 16:21:01 EST 2008

Jan-Pieter Cornet wrote:

> As much as I hate patents (I believe all patents should be abolished -
> or at least software patents), I don't think owning a patent, stupid
> or not, is bad per se. Trying to enforce it, is bad.

Yes, I agree.

> I think it's telling that Barracuda doesn't try to settle this out
> of court by showing Trend Micro their own stack of patents, but will
> try to fight it, to get the patent annulled.

Barracuda has one (1) patent as far as I can tell, so they are not in
a position to wage patent wars.

> It's a bit like WMD. You won't use them, because you know the other
> guys have them, too. Well, in theory, at least.

In a previous job, I worked at a company that did integrated-circuit
reverse-engineering.  When the semiconductor industry was suffering,
that company did well because struggling semiconductor companies went
sniffing for patent infringements in competitors' chips to increase
revenues. :-)  For them, owning a patent portfolio was just another
strategic business move.  Unfortunately, the free software movement
can't participate in that game, and patents really are nuclear weapons
against FOSS.