[Mimedefang] Regexp help

Joseph Brennan brennan at columbia.edu
Thu Feb 21 08:26:23 EST 2008

Paul Murphy <Paul.Murphy at argentadiscovery.com> wrote:

> The difference between a bad literal address and a bad numeric address
> is that a bad numeric address is in the correct format, but uses HELO
> <127.0.0.1> or something from the private ranges, or multicast range, or
> reserved range, etc.

We had to allow literal helo in correct format in private IP space,
after a few problem reports.  In some local network configuration that
I won't pretend to understand, the mail server is in a private network
and its outbound connections pass through a gateway.  We see the public
IP of the gateway box, but the mail server only knows its private IP
address.  If it says 'helo [10.1.2.3]' it is doing what it can.  This
at any rate is the story I got from 3 or 4 system admins before I gave
up on refusing for using private IP helo.

However 127.0.0.1 is certainly not allowed.

Joseph Brennan